Michael Steele, the Republican Hudsucker Proxy
Let's review the predictable career trajectory of this prop, er man.
- Michael Steele, who disappeared after being Maryland governor, is suddenly revived as a response to Obama's election 2 months earlier. Tactic #43 in the 'pathetically predictable Karl Rove reads 'the prince'' playbook is to take away any positive attribute the opponent might have. They try to steal some thunder by electing the first black chairman of the RNC, and to give white people cover so they can hate Obama and not feel racist. This is the last time the Republicans will benefit from Steele doing something actively.
- Since 2007, the tea party movement has been fomenting. Here is an early post from one of the louder voices condemning wall street greed and government lies:
That is the fact that the housing mess, and the coming severe economic pain that we are going to take in this country, is, if you live in a "bubble" area and bought, refinanced, or HELOC/MEWd out money in the last four or five years - YOUR FAULT.http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=2137351
The post is quite a good example of the mind behind the tea party, in its pure form. Before Fox News co-opted the entire movement into whatever the hell they wanted it to be, there was a genuine movement of real people who were angry for a good reason. Post after post, year after year, Denninger rants against the Fed and George Bush, about the criminals whose fraud caused the entire economic debacle, who still today live careless lives of the super rich.
But there's a hysterical quality to it... He predicts a crash in the dollar if we spent a ton of money bailing people out, and the exact opposite happened. The dollar got much stronger while Obama was president, bouncing all the way back from years of sliding value under Bush. This wasn't so much due to either president, but to the rest of the world going into the shitter with us, making our debt unbelievably attractive. The entire would would lend us more money than God for zero precent interest. This is primarily due to the fact that the USA has never defaulted on its debt, making us a safe bet in a scary world. Of course now, moron Republicans are threatening to force us to default, because getting rid of our AAA credit rating and destroying our reputation forever would somehow help. Fucking assholes.
- Back to the fresh, hip-hop chairman. He embarks on an endless campaign of gaffes and ridiculous behavior. Hilarious quotes that get passed around come out of his mouth as only a true buffoon could. Before he even starts, the funding for the GOP dries up and goes elsewhere. Karl Rove starts a new organization that can focus completely on telling white people what to be scared of, without any of that pesky 'oversight' or 'transparency' or 'obeying laws'. This is where the money is flowing to now, and every Republican knows it. In the coming years Steele will take the fall for that drop in funding, although it's obvious to anyone capable of basic math that he had nothing to do with it. People stopped giving the GOP money because everyone hates them, and that kinda started before Steele was chairman.
- Scandals are manufactured. An expense was paid for an evening at a gentleman's club, and somehow it becomes news. Not only that, but it's somehow the chairman's fault, as if he personally reviews every expense report. Ridiculous and idiotic, but everyone takes it seriously. The right-wing media is on the inside, and has begun their campaign against him. They are the instrument of the leak, they stoke the fire until legitimate (or at least less openly corrupt) news picks it up and runs with it. The CNN and NBC news of the world simply loves drama of any kind, and they do nothing but fan the flames of idiocy.
- The reality is that the chairman of the RNC doesn't have much power. No one kisses his ass because he can't vote on anything. Can you name who was chairman of the DNC under Bush? No one can. They aren't important or powerful, they are more worker bees. For the record it was Howard Dean, and he had little influence or power.
- While Steele is making a fool of himself, the media is having a multi-year orgasm over a tiny, well-off, extremely white section of the population. The tea party, brewing for years, suddenly becomes the apple of Fox's eye once Obama was elected. They are seen as the obvious savior of the Republican party, and any idiot in a 3-corner hat is given air time.
Fox organizes & promotes rallies that are thinly disguised Obama hate-fests. Any inkling of the original intent, or any hint of the disgusting crimes that created the movement are gone. Replaced with idiotic rhetoric like 'down with taxes' at a time when taxes are the lowest in 40 years. Anger over bailouts is directed at Obama, who most Fox viewers believe signed TARP. And now that a Democrat is in office, conservatives who cheered Cheney when he said 'Reagan proved deficits don't matter' now suddenly care that the country is saddled with debt. And whose fault is it? The new guy!
- The ultimate irony of his life, his career, and everything he's done for the last 2 years is that he's the tool of racists, bigots and power mongers. He was hired solely because he's black, and to have a darkie around when they wanted to play the race card. His ultimate failure, manufactured or not, was because he simply wasn't smart enough to successfully weild power. He was too dumb to use the power of his chairmanship to save his own job, and it's no surprise because he was hired because he was black, not smart. He is living proof that competence suffers when factors like race are the most important. He is a walking argument against quotas in spite of himself, and he's too dumb to know it. He is also the opposite of Obama, who succeeded because of competence and skill and not race.
And so we come to his final chapter, except for his book which will no doubt come out next year (in addition to the surprise book he put out during his tenure, a purely idiotic way of violating the rules, making people hate him, and making himself appear unaware of even the most basic rules of his job). Michael, you were a patsy and a stooge. You were hired to run the ship into the reef and you did it gleefully, swinging around on ropes and wooping like an idiot. Of course now you appear surprised to see things end this way, but my guess is you spend a lot of your life being befuddled at what life does to you.